Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mango Pineapple Crumble

This is the last post for my daily recipes for the month of June. Thank you for all your interest and feedback, its been a pleasure sharing our meals with you all. I will continue posting weekly blogs on notes, ideas and thoughts about life as a modern yogini in Montreal, as well as vegan recipes. I think I might need a new title and catch phrase for my blog... let me know if you have any ideas.

We had some mangoes and a pineapple that needed to be used, so I googled it and found this recipe. Half way through mixing, we opened up the pineapple and found out it had gone bad, so I substituted with some frozen fruit (pineapple, strawberry & mango mix), fresh strawberries and an apple. I also substituted the margarine with sunflower oil, and left out the pecans and coconut since I didn't have any. I ended up doubling the topping as I was sending half of it to my brother and sister-in-law who just had twins! I highly recommend this one, it turned out to be a delicious & perfect recipe finale.
I did have some help in the kitchen...
Fruit Crumble from Vegetarian Times
Mango Pineapple Crumble:

             A home-style dessert gets a tropical twist by baking spiced mangoes and pineapple beneath a crunchy crumble topping. Serve with non-dairy, vanilla ice cream.
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • ¼ cup plus 3 Tbs. packed light brown sugar, divided
  • 1 ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
  • ¾ tsp. grated nutmeg, divided
  • ¼ tsp. ground allspice, divided
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 5 Tbs. chilled vegan margarine, cut into pieces, divided
  • ½ cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped 
  • 2 Tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 ½ cups)
  • ½ pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 ½ cups)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 8-inch-square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. allspice, and salt in medium bowl. Add 4 Tbs. margarine, and rub with fingertips until mixture forms coarse meal. Press together until mixture begins to form moist clumps. Stir in pecans and coconut.
2. Combine remaining 3 Tbs. brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp. allspice in large bowl. Add mangoes and pineapple, and toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish; dot top with remaining 1 Tbs. margarine. Sprinkle oat topping over mango mixture.
3. Bake 40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and juices bubble. Cool 10 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: