Friday, May 20, 2011

Shop & Give with TOMS shoes

My Mom and I went shopping last weekend and each picked up a pair of TOMS shoes. They're an amazing company. For every pair of TOMS shoes sold, they give a pair of shoes to a child in need. They're available online or around town in many of the shoe shops.
matching shoes with Mom
One for One
In 2006, American traveler Blake Mycoskie befriended children in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created TOMS, a company that would match every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One. Blake returned to Argentina with a group of family, friends and staff later that year with 10,000 pairs of shoes made possible by TOMS customers.

2 comments:

Papillonbleu said...

I have a glittery pair and I got them at store Onze on St-Denis!!! Love what this compagny stands for, plus I think they are vegan... love, Kathya

Jessa said...

I do like Toms, and might get a pair, but this link reminded me that there is alot more to think about then just '1 pair for 1 pair, it's great, I'll buy them'. The anti Tom's 'bad-aid' campaign is highly critical of the brand as a band aid, unsustainable form of aid, when shoes are easily accessible in more developing countries. But this article I link here takes a hopeful 'there is alot of potential to turn bad-aid into great-aid.' Really interesting. Worth a read, take a look!

http://lessonsilearned.org/2011/04/tom%E2%80%99s-shoes-an-opportunity-for-%E2%80%9Cbad-aid%E2%80%9D-to-generate-%E2%80%9Cgreat-aid%E2%80%9D/